Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

WHERE YOU CAN FIND ME


For five weeks now, I record underscoring on Sunday afternoons. The guitars are all out, a bouquet of wood and strings and empty cases spread across the living room. Mic cables are underfoot. A glass of whiskey stands, the ice long melted. And then when everyone has gone to sleep, I sit in my favorite chair at a tiny white table and record narration for the next episode. I try to follow my notes. I want to touch on the people, and the life moments as much as the story behind each song that became my album. 

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night, scratching down a detail to include. 
A little crack in the wall to explore. 

It was so strange at first, sitting alone in a room talking to people that were not there. But now, I see them all. This podcast is not a message in a bottle that I toss wildly into the ocean, with no idea who will find it. I know it is being heard and that brings me great comfort. 

Someone I respect a great deal threw down a gauntlet to all of his listeners. He said we all should be making podcasts. Not because we want to talk, or extend our ego, or to blather about our opinions. NO. Instead, we need to offer perspectives. This may sound like splitting hairs but the difference is massive. I realized halfway into the second episode that podcasts are just an extension of our oral traditions. The technology may fool us into thinking we are doing something else, but when it comes right down to it - we just want to connect, to share the stories that shaped us, stories of friends we have lost, of our mis-steps, the minor triumphs and everything in-between. 


Here is where you can find me.


songbirdpodcast.com




Comments

Popular Posts