Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

Fools and children


No more trolley bus. No more metro adventures. If I can walk there, then I can go there. It is Sunday, and a surprise blanket of snow is kicking around the streets, hard flakes slapping my face as I squint at the sidewalk stretching ahead that blends into a white nothingness. It is damn cold. The wind howls. Cars slosh past me. A foul smell swirls up from the river, like methane gas. My hands are shoved deep in warm pockets. I am going to the ATM. We need cash on hand. Anything can happen now. I promise to go quickly, not to wander or buy any gifts as I normally do on these walks. But I will go to rinok, the market where real Pecorino hides behind the counter. Most of the cheese here is just wood chips and palm oil. I am dead serious when I say that. For legal reasons it is often called "parmesan" - whatever that means.

I know that as long as we have spaghetti and a big chunk of Pecorino in the fridge we will be just fine.

The counter is working. They know my face, and that I do not want a slice but the whole damn thing. I tuck it in my bag, and visit the fish mongers. They are from Azerbaijan, all thick black hair and stubble in their horizontal striped shirts, a nutty mix of Soviet chic and a pirate costume. I ask for a bag of frozen shrimp, the good stuff from Bangladesh. They send someone running to the back to get it for me. Last, the Georgian woman we buy cheese from - sulgini, a sour and giant wheel of milky succulence. She whispers to me in her hoarse alto.
"It is all the government I tell you. " She explains.
I nod, and smile. There is nothing else I can do.
"Best to drink cha cha." She adds, describing a Georgian grappa that cures all of the world's ills.
I nod again. It is the very best diplomacy.

People here are used to these strange days. They lived through far worse, so they joke and sigh, or they hoard and squander. A woman was infected with the virus but left the hospital where she was quarantined, and the police had to go find her. A father and daughter returned from a trip to Italy, fully sick but went to work and school. She even shared a vape pipe with her friends.

I think about all of this on the way home, with good cheese tucked in my bag, with cash in my pocket. A line from the new script I am writing tumbles around my head. "God takes care of fools and children."

I wonder if this is all of us.


Comments

Popular Posts