Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

Someone else's heroes


What do someone else's heroes look like? Do they have strong chins? Do they speak the kindest words? Is the skin of their hands soft and translucent, or are they rough? Can a hero have dirty fingernails, a lazy eye or a belly hanging over their belt? I want to think yes, but first I need to find them.

I look up at the statues, like that one of Gagarin that gleams in the middle of the night looking down on the hushed traffic and the stray dogs that wander the meridian. He must be a hero, no argument. He braved a frontier on his own, and came back with a smile plastered across his face. Who would not want to be him?

I wonder, do foreign heroes look the same as mine? Is there any common ground? The whisp of hair on a naked forehead, the wrinkles that gather around quiet lips, the grace of a hand moving while they speak, the honest words that tumble out - that is something that is the same in every corner of the world. Humility and generosity in the aftermath of courageous acts. It all sounds like a comic book, but maybe a compelling one. The question remains - what do someone else's heroes look like?

Comments

Popular Posts