Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

Hello, Alice


There are piles of notes, swooping arrows and underscores that connect one fragment to the next.  The pen is wild in my hand, jabbing and poking into the story that will be my next film. I read, and re-read each messy page. It is all here, but I do not know which scene is the first one. You build a story brick by brick, a fierce wall glued together by your theme, your heart, your guts. I have resisted this decision for weeks now. Finally, I surrender to it.

Her, in the bedroom with him. A hushed married-couple moment. Her infinite sadness. His blind optimism, and the daughter in the next room.

Alice is someone I know all too well. At the same time, she appears from the ether of the empty page, someone I barely understand. It all gets pasted together, a paper mâché life told in random moments.

That night, I toss and turn. Sleep cannot find me. The other characters were sketched out today. A priest, a public defender, a cop. I have to turn the lights on and let my eyes adjust, scribbling out snippets of dialogue, turns of phrase. "The Lord works in mysterious ways." The priest points out, in a makeshift confessional. "But he does work."

This is the part that gives me such confidence, when the characters tell me what to do, when the dialogue sputters out from the night air and I just need to catch it, butterfly net in hand.  Once the lawyer has said their piece and the cop has offered a few choice insults sleep does arrive, from the cool underside of my pillow.


Comments

Popular Posts