Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

the invisible man (finally)


The dream could have come years ago, and I accepted that it never would. Then, somehow last Friday night it did. No one could see me. I was walking buck naked, and invisible.

It began in the home of a blind woman that was trying to feed her cat. I was there, making as little noise as I could, trying not to disturb her as I nudged a plate in a better position to catch the slick, cold meat. The cat eventually padded across the floorboards, and it did not see me. I left the corner of the room, bursting into the street knocking into shoulders knowing I was naked and that it was not just the cat. No eyes met mine. No faces reacted to the smile plastered on my chin. I picked my nose once, just because I could. I hovered on a corner, as men and woman, tall and fat, old and skinny stumbled towards work and school, towards the meat grinder of the day.

I was hungry, and strolled right into a diner. One problem with being invisible is that you cannot carry a wallet around with you. I stole a turkey club from them, and made a mental note to come back and slip some cash into the register when I could. That was the plan, to practice some mental math and keep from backsliding into the life of a criminal. A wind came up and I wanted to wrap myself in blankets which I found somehow. Tucked into some odd corner I slept in the middle of the day with my belly full, with the smell of bacon grease and Russian dressing on my fingers.

Eventually the life of an invisible man becomes a lonely one. The thrill and the novelty fades. The eavesdropping becomes a trespass. Would I want someone witnessing my most private moments? No, I would not.

Comments

Popular Posts