Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

the tiniest red carpet


Halfway across the world, a little red carpet is unrolled. In a small Texas town, people shuffle into a movie theatre. The lights dim. Maybe someone stands up and talks a little, or there is an awkward silence, a cough, a mumble, a rustle of programs. The movies play, some long, some short, some noisy, some bubbling over with sweetness. I have no idea, actually. Maybe someone in the audience is talking the whole time, in a loud whisper. An episode of Blackbetty is part of the lineup, but I am not there. I am in Moscow, trying not to fall on the ice. I tuck a camera into my pocket as I go shopping for dinner. It is just short of impossible, trying to understand that my film is playing so far away. A piece of me is there, terrified, my heart in my throat.

Comments

Popular Posts