Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

the long way around


The living room is a forest of mic stands and cables. A cup of coffee, a large glass of water and a shallow shot of whiskey sit on the tiny white table. I alternate between them, making sure the guitar is in tune, trying to understand if the chair will creak when I lean my head back on the second chorus.  There is a hush in the room. I can hear my own heartbeat. The lyrics are printed out on a fresh piece of paper, large and thick so I can read them easily even though I sing with my eyes closed and will surely forget a handful of words no matter what I do.

The guitar sounds dry, perfect - even honest. I can play a simple D chord with a long strum, or the side of my thumb and it sounds so different. I record a few takes, barefoot in the bright room. I am going too fast in some parts, and my fingers are already sore from the chord changes.

And then all at once, I am thinking of a show I played in an old factory in Brooklyn, way back when I had just started writing songs almost twenty years ago. The audience was full of familiar faces. I felt like an uncle at a birthday party, all wisecracks and confidence as I slipped a capo on the guitar and told some story about the next song. There were no chairs, so people sat cross-legged on the floor with these patient smiles, inches from the toes of my old boots. It was a perfect night. Afterwards, a man who had worked with Brian Eno cornered me and made some overtures about a demo session, and gave me his card. I had this odd sense that things were about to happen, that goosebumps would ripple along with arms after each phone call I would get in the next days. Of course, very different things went down. I never did get to call that man. When the bottom fell out of the boat in giant ugly pieces I just surrendered to the craziness and treaded water, keeping my head up for the sight of dry land.

It took a good long time to get to this moment, in this living room, with the sun banging through the curtains, these words in front of me that I could never have written back then. This black guitar, so light in my hands, so ready to be played.

The coffee cup is empty. Yes, a few random sips of whiskey to open up my throat and I press record again.

Comments

Popular Posts