Skip to main content

Featured

somewhere over the rainbow (and other stories)

  Exactly two years ago I found myself flying through a corner of a rainbow, and landed in Oaxaca, Mexico. It was the last film festival I traveled to, a brutal and sweet experience in the harshest of realities, trying to wrap my arms around the slipperiest industry and failing magnificently. Surrounded by fresh faces and eager eyes I ran from the rooms and into the street time and again, wandering off with the camera in my bag as a companion. I took pictures of a blind man that sang on the same corner every day, of wedding parades, of an old woman waiting to see the dentist.  Literally somewhere over the rainbow, I met the ugliest answers to questions I had been dragging my feet towards for years. Cramming the most delicious food into my mouth, joking at the nightly rooftop cocktail parties, grinning like the Cheshire Cat it was all coming to an end. Actually, it had ended before it even started though - and on the plane back to New York and finally Moscow the bone-crunching undertow

a virus



Three AM and she still cannot sleep. Coughing, sneezing, tossing in the sheets I nest around her she looks up at the ceiling into the darkness. I bring a fresh glass of water and get her to drink some. The laptop is there, the millionth animated film flickering away, soundtrack bubbling along but she is not interested. At one point I am too tired to do more than hold her hand and whisper to her to breathe through her mouth and try to go back to sleep. She blows her nose constantly, enough that it makes me nervous.

When she does find sleep, I slump into the chair in her room. I have a sudden fear she will stop breathing. I know this compulsion, this drastic imagination that creeps up on me in the middle of the night. It was different when I was younger. I used to be scared of phone calls, always imagining it was the news of someone's death. I could not imagine it was a wrong number, or someone trying to get me to vote, or to buy some new pots and pans. It was always that death impulse, and then the methodical, quick erasing of that idea. 


Outside the windows the street is warm. People are walking around in t-shirts. I am making more soup, a minestrone this time. It needs basil and spinach but I am not going to the store today. It is cooked from what is in the fridge and I am sure it will give us heartburn. E is wandering around the rooms, coughing, bored out of her mind. I brush past the guitars standing in the hallway, catching a string as I bring her a bowl. The lone note twangs in the afternoon. I have not played music for almost two weeks now. Each day is just a march through headaches and medicines, fifteen minute pauses to take temperatures, the warming of leftovers, the short naps in the afternoon. 

I wake from them, smelling car exhaust from the street and diesel from the train tracks. There is a terrible taste in the back of my throat. I make a coffee for myself and then see that E is sleeping in her little bed. I hear the air chugging in and out of her. 



Comments

liv said…
I remember those years too. The thermometer, the hot water bottle, soup and tea and cough drops. The leaning over the bed 3 or 4 times in the night to make sure she was breathing right. The worry and exhaustion.

And then the deep sigh of relieve when she sits up and cracks a joke and wants more toast. What a wonderful love it is.
Rubye Jack said…
Is that your house? The yellow. I love the photo very much!
I do not miss those days of colds and flu but I remember they always get well again.

Popular Posts