Skip to main content

Featured

molecules and potholes

There is a rift between daily life, and the news that trickles across. In our little bubble, this quiet neighborhood, the price of a bouquet of roses does not change. The eggs are painted in shit and feathers, but taste the same. The little fresh market works on the weekends again, now that the weather is not terrible. Here, they sell overpriced red onions, stalks of broccoli, maybe some green basil if we are lucky.  The potholes sit  half-full with murky water. New buildings grow slowly as construction workers stare into the horizon on cigarette breaks. None of this changes, not a molecule.

But the rest of world is upside-down. Wild laws are passed. Prime ministers become dictators. Bombs are dropped here and there, like rainbow sprinkles on a doughnut - the more the better. Great decisions are made over dessert now, fueled by whim.

Being an expat means more than living far from home. There are many distances to bridge each day, and in times like this I want to throw my hands wild i…

Danny Boy - an Irish Song

She picks it, out of thin air. A laugh jumps out of my mouth and I am looking for chord charts. It is in a number of keys. The little guitar is in my lap, my elbows twisting around. She is next to me, leaning against my shoulder.
"There is a second verse." She says.
We try it in C but it is too high.
I go for the Johnny Cash version next.
It fits.
Then, mid-word she grows quiet. I point at the place, thinking she just got lost.
She is crying, her face folding in on herself the way it does.
I hold her, we talk quietly. She whispers to me, says the song is too sad. I make jokes, change the words to "Oh Beasty Boy" then put it all in Brooklyn where lots of words change to "mustard" and "bridge".
We let it go.

The next day she says she can do it, over a bowl of cereal.







Comments

liv said…
Start the parade, indeed!

Bravo, Brava!

These little videos are enchanting. Next, Eva's rendition of Pharrell Williams "Happy"....with dancing!!

Thank you so much for such joy on a Monday morning.
Uncle Al said…
a Heart felt treasure of Father & Daughter sharing this song of sadness. Open & honest as only home video can be!
Rubye Jack said…
Oh my gosh, this is so touching and beautiful.

Not sure how I found your site but am glad I did.
Leilani Warden said…
Very sweet. I once lived in Russia (Moscow) and feel many same thoughts as you. Made wonderful friends there but am glad and fortunate to be back home. Thank you for sharing your writing and photographs.
Mrs. Munchkin said…
I really enjoyed this....to see your interaction and love is priceless!

Popular Posts

best personal blogs
best personal blogs