Skip to main content

Featured

a peaceful protest

I was 16, and the thought of being forced to mention God as part of the pledge of allegiance was too hypocritical an act for me to play along with. Each day of high school began with this mundane recitation, as most people just stood with their hand jutting from a hip, the other dangling across their chest as they counted out the seconds until they could sit back down. They leaned against desks, and talked through it about what party and where it would be, if there would be a keg or a bonfire in the woods. I recited the words, omitting the "under God" part as a sort of half-baked protest. I was raised to flaunt my family's ramshackle atheism, as a choice of smug pride. We knew better, was the prevailing logic.

But one day, I could not stand and say any of it. It felt so rote, so hollow, so devoid of choice. There was no law that said I was required to say it. I knew this was my right, a form of free speech. My homeroom teacher was a legendary drinker, a trash-talking re…

not now

i cannot write today. i want to, but there are much more important things going on right now. i cannot turn an elegant phrase this Monday. The phones are ringing all day, and I must answer them and solve some major issues as fast as possible. E is OK. N is OK. The cat is  - well, she always has a tough time. With luck I will write later in the week, for the first time. Or a double for next week. I promise.

OK, the phone is ringing.

And in my head a song is banging around...

I imagine a moment after this black and terrifying one I am in now, one where I can be silly.

Comments

Hey, got your email. And I totally understand! We'll send a really cool Christmas card when we get closer to the date! My girlz would love a Russian penpal!!
best!
julianne
Yulia said…
Dear Rabbit Blogger,

My name is Yulia Amlinskaya, I am a Russian language teacher at the Spanish Embassy in Moscow (Russia).

I would like to present my Russian Language Web Page which contains a great variety of grammar, vocabulary and communication exercises, podcasts, reading materials, Russian songs with exercises, etc. You can also find a lot of information on Russian literature, history, traditions, etc.

The blog was officially recognized as One of The Best Language Teaching Blogs 2010.

The blog is based on interactive exercises, which can be done online.

http://russificate.blogspot.com/

It could be interesting and useful for all Russian learners and people interested in Russian life, language and culture. It is completely free.

I would be glad to cooperate with you and receive your questions or suggestions about the blog.

I would also be happy if you could add my blog to your page, as I´ve just added yours to my blogroll and become your follower.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Yulia Amlinskaya.

Popular Posts

best personal blogs
best personal blogs